Search This Blog

Saturday, January 12, 2019

Why Mermaiding?

swim, freedive, mermaid, cozumel, water fitness, relax, stress release, yoga
It can’t just be me – seems like suddenly there are mermaids everywhere, no? In advertisements, at pool b-day parties, fulfilling wishes, swimming in aquariums and even “dive” bars around the world. Don’t get me wrong, I have no complaints! I am extremely fond of this trend - suddenly I have a wardrobe of mermaid shirts that people have gifted me because they thought of me when they saw it – how lucky am I? J

For me professionally, the timing of this boost in mermaid popularity couldn’t be better. My original mermaid project was in 2013, working with Atlantis Submarines in Cozumel. Unfortunately, constant current at the dive site made the world’s first open water mermaid show extremely challenging, and we could no longer do it safely within budget. While I was heartbroken at the time, I remained firm in my belief that everything happens for a reason, and it happens at the exact right time.

mermaid, freedive, cozumel, atlantis submarines
Foto by Miguel Nunez
Consequently, my dream mermaid program shifted in a different direction, and continues to evolve today. These days, not only do I offer formal education and training for ladies aspiring to be professional mermaids, I have also created several other mermaid experiences and programs that encourage girls and women of all ages to dive into discovery of their inner mermaid. Here, during our mermaid sessions, we provide a safe and comfortable environment for peace and self-exploration in a lite-hearted, fun, yet "deep" and meaningful way...

mermaid, fitness, relax, workshop, stress release
Foto by Mik N' Drik Photography

Recently I've connected with like-minded conservation mermaids, and we are organizing projects
that aim to develop ideas for oceans, mermaids, and freediving. They have inspired me to dive deeper into ocean conservation issues. I'm grateful for the opportunity, and very excited to see what a network of mermaids around the world can accomplish in collaboration.

So...why mermaiding?

What about it makes me so sure that you ladies will fall in love with it if you just give it a try?
I believe now more than ever, we all need a little escape from the madness every once in a while. A way to keep things in perspective, to slow down and remember what is important, what matters, get back to basics, and let go of whatever is causing stress in our life. Too often we get so caught up in the daily grind, and consumed with all the distractions out there, that we fail to see that a little bit of peace and calm still exists somewhere. 
mermaid, relax, fitness, cozumel, stress release
Mik N' Drik Photography
Once we take the time to nurture our own well-being, pay attention to what keeps us centered on an individual and personal level, it automatically shines thru in all of our experiences. A solid foundation is what gives us confidence, makes us feel strong, keeps us grounded, and generally healthy in body, mind, and spirit.
mermaid, fitness, water workout, balance, cozumel
Myself being a naturally quick-tempered Italian, I can ensure you that a bit of time spent mermaiding is just the remedy to cool me down, bring things back to perspective, and recover balance from anything that might be out of whack. At times, it also works to cleanse any stagnant energy that I’m looking to literally wash away and leave behind. When things get really intense, nothing works your body hard to the core as much as a solid mermaid fitness workout session with the merFin!

sirena, cozumel, mar caribe, caribbean, relax, mermaid, photo shoot, underwater photography
When we release stress, take time for rest, and let go of all the madness for a while, we are undoubtedly sharper and better prepared to face challenges or endure any hard times that come our way. On the same token, stress release provides space to be completely present. To fully enjoy all the good times, to feel loved, and love your loved ones on a whole other level, in a deeper sense than you ever knew to be possible.
Cozumel, beach, playa, caribbean, island, mar caribe, turismo, punta sur, viajar, travelTo me, and I'm sure to all of you ladies as well, there is no stress remedy that compares to the healing powers of vacation - especially one on a beach with crystal clear waters in front of you. Cozumel, Mexico is everything Caribbean with a warm welcome at an affordable price.
Why not give it a truly feminine touch and add some mermaid magic to complete the island vibe?
mermaid, cozumel, relax, stress release, sirena, caribbean, mar caribe
Mik N' Drik Photography
When you return home from your mer-vacation in Cozumel, I hope that you not only go back feeling well-rested, rejuvenated, and full of awesome stories to tell about all the discoveries you made, and experiences you had; I also hope that you keep a piece of that chill, mermaid-relaxed vibe thru your daily life. Once you’ve felt it, it’s easy to find a way to integrate that stillness and silence no matter what the situation.

mermaid, cozumel, sirena, relax, stress release
Mik N' Drik Photography
I am so grateful to live in a place with spectacular views, where the different shades of blue hypnotize you, and the jungle transports you to a time where life was much simpler. Here, the pace of life alone infects you, causes you to slow down, and eventually allows you to reach a level of deep relaxation and tranquility. It would be my pleasure to share the mermaid vibe with you, and give you a taste of a mermaid lifestyle that can either provide the perfect getaway, or actually become your new career path if you choose.
Thanks so much for diving in to these aquatic adventures with me!
Smile, Breathe, Get Aquatic!